Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lazy Cook Meatball and Veggie Soup by April Lorier

What encourages and inspires us more than a tasty, nutritious meal at the end of the day? I am not known for my cooking ability! But recently, a neighbor brought me a pot of "Sopa de Albondigas" (aka Mexican Meatball Soup) and I fell passionately in love with it! I had to have that recipe, especially since it is something that can go into the freezer for those "rainy days"! She told me to make it my own, put in what I like, and leave out what I didn't like. So I spent half a day - including the shopping - making my version of what I call "Lazy Cook Meatball Veggie Soup". After all, nothing encourages me more than having something delicious before I settle down for a night of writing!

Prep and cook time (if you have all the ingredients at home) is about 35 minutes. The flavor of this soup is fresh and simple, and the meatballs are exceptionally moist and tender because they are poached in the soup, not pan-browned first. If making ahead, cool, cover, and then chill up to 3 days. Just re-heat to simmering to serve. Makes 12-16 cups, depending on how many veggies you add. (It is a great way to get your veggies!)

Chop up the following veggies:

4 stalks of celery

2 Anaheim peppers (long, green, not hot) or 1 bell pepper chopped

1 large white onion, diced

4 large red potatoes (white potatoes with red skins) in large pieces: about 6 per potato (no mushy potatoes!)

6 carrots, diced thin (or, if you are a lazy cook, like me, one small bag of the fresh baby carrots)

½ bag of cole slaw, or you can slice ½ green cabbage if you are not lazy like me

½ bunch of cilantro (aka Italian Parsley) Makes 1-1½ cups total

2 Italian Squash sliced thick

Fill a big pot with 12 cups of water, then add beef bouillon to taste (about 5 tablespoons or 6 cubes)

Add a large can of either diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes, including juice

Add 3-5 cloves of smashed garlic

Add 1 large onion, chopped, to the pot.

Add chopped pepper to pot.

Add 1 cup of your already-chopped cilantro

Salt and pepper to taste

Turn heat on under pot (high) and bring to a boil.

While you are waiting for the boil, prepare the meatballs.

1-1½ lbs of ground sirloin, or hamburger, or turkey, or combination

2 eggs, beaten

½ white uncooked rice

½ cup of remaining cilantro

Worcestershire Sauce

Salt and pepper

Make 2" meatballs with your hands (meatballs will expand)

When liquid is boiling, drop in the meatballs, one by one, and do not stir. Cook med heat for 20 minutes, covered.

Add veggies and let them cook 10-15 minutes (I like crunchy veggies!) Make sure everything is covered with liquid.

Get a big ladle and scoop into large soup bowls. Yum, yum, yum!

Reheat for 3 days, or freeze for months. Great tasting and good for lazy cooks like me!

© 2008 April Lorier (aka "Lazy Cook")

April Lorier is an award-winning poet, writer, Author, Christian Speaker, Columnist, and Encourager of Christians worldwide.

As a pastor's daughter and a survivor of severe child abuse, April Lorier has an intimate knowledge of child abuse in and out of the church. She founded COPE, Inc, for the retraining of abusive parents. She successfully fought for the passage of The Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), signed by Ronald Reagan.

Her autobiography, "GOD'S BATTERED CHILD: Journey from Abuse to Leader" (2007) is available at Amazon, B & Nobles, Target and at http://aprillorier.blogspot.com

No comments: